American Flag

American Flag

Monday, March 28, 2011

WHY EVERY MAN NEEDS A DOG


They say a dog is man’s best friend.  Every man has friends in his life, good friends, so why do we need a “best friend” who is furry and needs to be fed and walked?  I didn’t know the answer to this question until recently when I took in two dogs, one a small overweight Chihuahua, Jumbo, and the other a Terrier, Chihuahua mix, Muscles. 

I have always been a very allergic person.  Cats, dogs (so I thought), pollen, mold, mites, milk, you name it and I am allergic to it.  So when the prospect of living with two animals was presented to me a few months back, I was cool to the idea, to say the least.  First, I had never lived with animals, and second, I thought I was allergic to dogs.  Turns out I am not, a fact which has drastically changed my life in the past two months.

Muscles is an outgoing, loveable, energetic and playful dog who loves to hangout and relax all the time.  As soon as I come home from work and open the door he runs over to the spot on the couch where I watch TV and rub his belly.  It sounds slightly nauseating to hear the details of this pattern, but it is only nauseating to non-pet and specifically non-dog owners.  Two months ago I was one of these narrow-minded non-dog owners who would not have understood how rewarding it could be to return home and have that four-legged friend waiting to play.

So why does every man need a dog?  I think there are three reasons.  The first reason is that it is a huge stress release to have a close relationship with a dog.  I never understood it, but having a mutually beneficial relationship with a being who has unwavering loyalty and who desires nothing more than to play and be rubbed lowers my stress levels unlike anything else.  Not only is it nice to rub something soft everyday (yes, even grown men can admit its nice to rub something soft) but also the reciprocal licks from my best friend are extremely stress relieving.

Much more significant is how having a dog prepares a man for the most feared stage of his life…no, not marriage (which might a be close second for some), but having kids.  For those like myself who never had another being to feed and take care of, becoming responsible for the care of a dog is a life-changing experience.  I am no longer that selfish kid who wakes up when he pleases and lives according to no other schedule than my own.  How the hell can that kid possibly expect to get married and in a few years time be ready to be a father? 

I don’t know if anyone is ever really ready to have a kid, but living with and taking care of a dog surely moves one closer to a stage of readiness.  Even the most macho and toughest of men want, or accept the reality that they will one day have kids.  In my opinion, every man needs a dog to prepare for this process.  The man’s new best friend can guide him through the process of fatherhood by instilling within him a sense of responsibility while simultaneously providing the new father with the stress release and playtime that all grown men need. 

Finally, having a dog prepares a man for poop.  My only experience with another beings poop was when I took care of my nephew for a week.  That week was a mess, both figuratively and literally, for both my nephew and myself.  But walking the dogs and picking up their poop in the poop bag has numbed my gag reflex to the point where I am confident that I could deal with the poop of any animal, especially one with my own DNA.

So while Muscles has become my new best friend, I have learned some important life lessons and taken a significant step in my own development.  Having a dog is a unique experience that both relaxes yet educates a man at the same time.  Every man could use that.

Also, an important note, please be sure to adopt a pet from an animal shelter as opposed to buying one from a pet store.  

4 comments:

  1. hahaha paul, this entry is awesome/hilarious. no better way i could think of to spend my time at 6:28 am on a tuesday morning. one question: what about jumbo??? I would like to hear your thoughts on the non-best-friend dog you currently live with.
    - mel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome Paul! LOL. Melissa..

    One note- please remind your readers to Adopt from shelters like North Shore Animal League, and not to buy from pet stores

    ReplyDelete
  3. Once upon a time I was a selfish, careless girl who lacked the understanding of how magnificently impactful a single being can be in the life of another. I lived for only me, regulated to a bubble surrounded by impenetrable walls of defenses. Nobody was permitted to truly know me, to peer into my heart, my mind, my soul. Vulnerability, the single most frightening word in existence. Or so I thought. Until the day I gazed into those big brown excited puppy eyes of my Muscle man. I was suddenly overcome by a wave of pacifying euphoria. In an instant the implications of “vulnerability” morphed from asphyxiating terror into alleviating surrender. My heart was captured.
    No human has ever made me feel this way at first sight. There is something innate in a dog that emits an unspoken assurance of steadfast love, loyalty, and comfort that one can never feel from a human stranger. There are just certain things that dogs can do for a person that no human ever could. And if a human ever tried to do some of those doglike things, the result would not be pleasant. When I’m sad and Muscles licks my hand, I feel soothed. If Melissa licked me, it would probably make me cry. When Jumbo poops outside I cheer him on. I certainly would not do the same for Kira, that would just be really weird. If McShea asked me to rub her belly for hours, I’d think she was either crazy or a lesbian. If muscles vomits on the carpet I coddle him and give him comforting kisses. If Maia puked on my floor (which I’m pretty sure at some point she has), the last thing I would do kiss her. And Meg, if you pooped in my shoe the first time you came over, like Muscles did, I’m pretty sure we wouldn’t have become friends at all.
    So why is it that our devotion to dogs is so permanently resolute, while in our human relationships we never feel truly 100% trusting and dedicated? While there are numerous positive attributes gained from human relationships that one with an animal cannot produce, the alternative is also true. Humans will use words carelessly to hurt one another, disappoint each other with selfish actions, betray one another’s trust, and shape the way we view ourselves based on their words and actions. In turn we put up defenses and do unto others as they have done to us, prohibiting a perfectly flawless relationship to ever exist among two humans, no matter how good intentioned they are or how much they value one another. Fact is, we are humans, which inherently provides us with capability to inflict emotional wounds upon our fellows.
    Dogs have not, cannot, and will never do such things to us. We therefore have no reason to fear or disdain them. Muscles wants to please me and fulfill my expectations, so I do the same for him. Jumbo gets excited every time he sees me, so I do the same when I see him. They are always there for me, so I take care of them. They would never harm me, so I protect them. We have a mutual reliance on one another to enrich each other’s time on this planet. A relationship with a dog floods the human heart with love, acceptance, compassion, and happiness. Dogs simply make humans’ better people. A human who is a better person as a result of a dog, has the potential to be a better person to other humans. My dogs have taken that selfish girl and turned her into a responsible, selfless, and caring woman. Their love has demolished my wall of defenses and opened up my world to a plethora of joy. No human can ever truly know the positive side of vulnerability until they have a relationship with a dog. Vulnerable, yes I am, and I love it.
    Paul, I am so fortunate to have witnessed the miraculous transformations that you and Muscles have brought out in one another. It warms my soul to see the joy you bring to each other’s lives. It is a phenomenal experience to watch a person grow from establishing a relationship with an animal, just how it happened to me. Watching you two enrich each other’s lives, enriches mine tenfold.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Poopy head hi I’m Myra my dad should write abt me! I’m ten. My daddy’s farts stink. Hahahahahahah Taylor swift is the best . YAsSsS quEEEeEn

    ReplyDelete